Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Getting in the right frame of mind

Surgery for me is far from definite at this point as I haven't even gone to the informational seminar offered by my hospital but I am trying to get in the right frame of mind for when it becomes a reality. These are the steps I have taken so far: 1) made reservation at bariatric center info session for wed 6/13 2) made appt for my annual gyn exam on 6/15 3) made appt with my primary care doc for 7/3. This was first appt I could get with her. I am pretty sure she will be on board with my decision for wl surgery because this is something she mentioned to me as a possibility approx 2 years ago. 4) began researching req of my insurance carrier. From what I can tell so far, I meet the BMI req. They also req 6 months of (can be non-concurrent) of a weight loss program in last two years. I am hoping they will accept proof of my time spent doing weight watchers as part of req and that I will only have to do a 3-month phys supervised. This could give me a possible surgery time of this Fall. 5) approx 9 months ago I set a goal to develop a normal sleep schedule. For years I was staying up till 3 or 4 in AM and existing on 4 hours sleep then catching up on days off work. Not the best schedule for anyone and I know lack of sleep has been linked to obesity. I am happy to say I achieved my goal and now get. Solid 7-8 hours of sleep per night. These are my next steps: 1) eliminate sweet tea from my diet. This is the only drink w/calories that is my weakness. I rarely drink alcohol and only drink soda if sweet tea is not available. This is a hard habit to break for me & one where I must give it up 100% to be successful. 2) begin & stick with a walking program. 1st goal: 2 miles per day, 6 days per week 1 month. Endurance wise I have no problem waking the 2 miles it's getting in the right mindset to make it a PRIORITY and commitment! 3) look to purchase a used treadmill 4) experiment with protein shakes to find some I like. I do not like chocolate anything so this rules out some off the bat. 5) try to learn to like Greek yogurt 6) get in a water drinking habit.

7 comments:

  1. I add Splenda to my Fage brand Greek yogurt to make it yummy :) 150 cals 20 proteins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used sweet and low and it did the trick. I like Greek yogurt now!!!

      Delete
  2. I am a big crystal lite fan...I tried a bunch of flavor but my fav is rasberry peach FIBER...congrats on taking the first step.....I love the blogging community and it really keeps me focused...btw--new follower referred by one and only LapBandGal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound like you have all research done, just have a few hoops to jump through.

    I use a lot of Splenda in tea. I can't drink unsweet tea, I am too far south for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Mio drink additive. They have a sweet tea version. Perhaps give that a shot!

    I'm a new follower of yours, found you through Lap Band Gal! Welcome to the community, I look forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, find yourself a sugar free squash and get drinking that water and start adding sweetener to plain yoghurts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your support!

    ReplyDelete